Frequently Asked Questions

Return to Resource Guide Table of Contents

Center for Adult and Continuing Education

As an adult student, where do I register and drop or add a course?

All students are encouraged to register online. If not possible, you can register in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education, Mercy Hall, Room 133­139. All drops and adds must be done in person or by phone. As an adult student, you have the advantage of not having to wait in line at the Registrar’s Office during Registration Week.

How do I receive the Schedule of Classes for each semester?

Each semester, the Center for Adult and Continuing Education prints the Part­time Undergraduate and Graduate Schedule of Classes, which includes late afternoon, evening, and weekend classes. All classes are listed at and in the Master Schedule of classes printed by the Registrar’s Office. These schedules can be picked up in the respective offices approximately one to two weeks prior to Advisement Week.

When do I register? Why is it important to register early?

Spring registration generally begins in early November; fall and summer registrations begin in March. We encourage you to register as early as possible so you do not get shut out of a class because enrollment has reached maximum capacity, or so that a class does not get canceled due to low enrollment. And, no money is required if you register at least one month prior to the start of the semester.

If a class has reached maximum capacity, what should I do?

Contact the professor to see if he or she will allow you in the class. Our faculty will often make accommodations for adult students. Otherwise, you must contact your advisor to approve another course. You may want to be prepared with “alternative” courses when you register just in case you cannot get into your first­choice classes.

Do you accept CLEP (College Level Examination Program) credits, or credits for Prior Learning?

(See section on CLEP.) Yes. Misericordia University is a CLEP test site. For more information, contact the Center for Adult and Continuing Education.

Can I audit a course? How much will it cost?

See section on Auditing.

Can I register over the phone? Can I drop/add over the phone?

Yes, you can register or drop/add over the phone as long as you have your advisor’s approval, but all students are being encouraged to register online.

Can I register for two semesters on one form?

You cannot register for more than one semester (fall, spring, or summer) on one form. All summer sessions, including Weekend College, are considered one semester, so you may use one form for all.

Do I have to pay my tuition when I first register? Can I use a credit card? Can I pay in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education?

A minimum of 20% of the total tuition must be paid by the first day of class. Each month you will be charged 1% on the unpaid balance. Your balance must be paid in full by the end of the semester. You can pay by cash, check, VISA, MasterCard, or Discover. We accept payment in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education; only the Student Financial Services Office can issue you an official receipt.

I have some business to take care of (i.e., sign a check or book voucher), and I can’t get there until the evening or the weekend. What can I do?

Call the office with whom you need to do business and make arrangements for them to leave your check or voucher in the pick­up box in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education.

I am an alumnus/na. Do I have to pay full tuition?

Alumni receive 1/3 off undergraduate tuition up to 11 credits per semester, and 1/3 off graduate tuition up to six credits per semester. The benefit, when combined with other grant sources, e.g. tuition reimbursement from your employer, can never result in a credit balance on your account. Contact the Student Financial Services Office for more information.

How do I cross­register at King’s College or Wilkes University?

Complete the cross­registration form available in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education or Registrar’s Office, and return it to the Registrar.

Can I fax a registration, drop/add form, or letter of tuition reimbursement?

Yes. Our fax number is (570) 674-6232.

How will I know where my class meets?

You can find your schedule on eMU. Click on the Academics tab, then click on Academic Services, then click the eMU logo.

If a class is canceled, will I be notified and when?

Yes. If a class is canceled, you will be notified one week before the start of class. You will have the opportunity to add another class after confirming with your advisor.

Where do I pick up an application? Are all majors open to adult students?

Applications for part­time undergraduate studies, part­time entry level master’s degrees, and graduate studies can be picked up in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education, or we can mail one to you. All majors are open to adult students. Call (570) 674-­6451 for more information.

When are you open?

Monday - ­Thursday 8:30 am ­7:30 pm*+
Friday 8:30 am ­4:30 pm*
Weekend College Saturday 10 am ­1 pm
Weekend College Sunday 11am – 1 pm
* Office closes one half hour early during summer months
+ Office closes at 6:30 pm the week prior to Christmas break

If I cannot get in touch with my advisor, what should I do?

If, after leaving a message on your advisor’s voice mail or e­mail, you still have not heard from him/her, call the Center for Adult and Continuing Education at (570) 674-­6450, and we will contact him/her for you.

Non-­Credit Information

Do I get a student discount at the Anderson Center?

All students may use the Anderson Center free of charge with Student ID. Family members pay a modest price for using the pool. (See Guide to Anderson Center for more information.)

Where can I register for Fun & Fitness? Do I get a student discount? Does my family get a discount because I’m a student?

You can register for all non­credit programs, including Fun & Fitness, in the Center for Adult and Continuing Education. As a Misericordia University student, you are eligible for all student discounts. Your immediate family members also receive a discount. Brochures, which include information on adult fitness programs such as aerobics and water aerobics, and children’s swimming programs, are available. Call (570) 674-­6289, or stop in Room 133 in Mercy Hall.

Return to Resource Guide Table of Contents