Student Awards and Accomplishments
OTs Presenting Research in Japan!
Three Occupational Therapy Faculty members and their research students have received notification that their presentations have been accepted for the 16th International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapy to be held June 2014 in Yokohama, Japan.
Dr. Lalit Shah, along with Weekend OT graduates Matt Cash, Moira Hauer, Jessica Mudgett, and Katie Moul, will present a poster based on their research entitled “Life Balance: A Comparative Study of Retired and Working Occupational Therapists”.
Dr. Jennifer Dessoye and 5th year OT students Chelsea Converse, Shannon McSweeny, Lindsay McLaughlin, and Cathryn Steinhoff will be presenting a session on their research project entitled, “The Effectiveness of Handwriting and Visual Motor iPad Apps in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.”
Dr. Joseph Cipriani, and 2013 graduates Jenna Georgia, Megan McChesney, Megan Stabler, and Jacklyn Tschantz will be presenting their research based poster, “Uncovering the Value and Meaning of a Horticulture Therapy Program for Clients at a Long-Term Adult Inpatient Psychiatric Facility".
This is a very impressive accomplishment for our faculty and students, and we wish them the best while representing the Misericordia Occupational Therapy Program internationally!
AOTA 2014 CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
The Occupational Therapy Department had a record number of eighteen presentations by Misericordia faculty, students and graduates at the April 3-6, 2014 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference in Baltimore, MD. They were:
- "Examining the Benefits of Community-Based Self-Help Groups for Persons with Chronic Health Conditions." Dr. Gwen Bartolacci, OTR/L, (faculty) and Entry Level Masters degree students Chelsea Boyer, Noelle Lopopolo, James Miller, Katie O’Hearn, and Catherine Strbo.
- "Parental Perceptions of Adolescent Health and Wellness." Dr. Dawn M. Evans, OTR/L (faculty) and Entry Level Masters degree students Jerilyn Firlik, Jessica Miller, Monica Wall, & Jaimie Washofer.
- "Occupational Therapists as School Administrators: A Contribution to the Centennial Vision." Elizabeth Richardi McQuaid ,MS, OTR/L (OTD Student).
- "Direct Model vs Integrative/Group Model Therapy and Participation and Performance Scores of School Function Assessment." Nereida Meloi, MS, OTR/L (2012 Post Professional MS Graduate) and Dr. Julia Guzman (OTD Graduate).
- "Combining Sensory Strategies & Social Skills Training to Improve Children’s Functional Performance." Lori Charney , MS, OTR/L (Adjunct faculty and OTD Student) and Ellen McLaughlin (faculty).
- "Testing the Use of an iPad Application To Decrease Letter and Number Reversals in First Grade Students." Ann Kehrer, MS, OTR/L (2013 Post Prof MS Grad) and Dr. Amy Lynch, OTR/L (pro rata faculty).
- "Enhancing Preschool Behaviors During Circle Time: Effectiveness of Dynamic Seating and Sensory Strategies." Lorna Schwarzer, MS, OTR/L (2013 Post Prof MS Grad) & Ellen McLaughlin, Ed.D., OTR/L (faculty).
- "Enhancing a Sensory Based Practice with Exercise and Cognitive Behavioral Techniques for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders." Dr. Deirdre Azzopardi,OTR/L (OTD Graduate).
- "Step It Up Adolescent Health and Wellness Program." Dr. Dawn Evans, OTR/L (faculty).
- "A Systematic Review of the Effects of Horticultural Therapy on Persons with Mental Illness." Dr. Joseph Cipriani, OTR/L (faculty) and Entry Level Masters Degree students Ashley Benz, Alanna Holmgren, Dana Kinter, Joseph McGarry and Gabrielle Rubino.
- "Developing Individualized Therapy Programs to Address Feeding Challenges in Children with Autism." Dr. Jessica Piatak (OTD Grad 2013) and Kristina Carraccia, MS, CCC-SLP.
- "Happiness and Social Interaction of Older Independent Apartment Residents in an Occupation-based Program." Dr. Grace Fisher, OTR/L (faculty) and Entry Level Masters degree students Bonnie Hardik, Colleen Noga, Allison Ortman, Samantha Panuski, and Jessica Roe.
- "Environmental Control Can Boost Patient Independence." Mimi Ludwig, MS, OTR/L and Sirly Marin-Pareja,MS, OTR/L (Weekend College graduates).
- "Methods That Support Evidence Based Practice In the Intervention Process." Sherri Brandthill, MS, OTR/L (OTD Student).
- "An Investigation of Favored Group Activities and Happiness in Older Adults within a Senior Living Complex." Dr. Grace Fisher (faculty), Michael Devitt, Holly Haberern, OTR/L, Leah Redinski, OTR/L, & Susan Smaka, OTR/L (2013 Weekend College Graduates).
- "Community Education in Action: The Ten Tips Workshop Series." Christine Luhrs, MS, OTR/L (OTD Student) and Kristen Healey.
- Smart Tools for Evaluating the Built Environment. Roger Smith, Jaclyn Schwartz and Denis Anson, MS, OTR/L (ATRI Director and OT adjunct faculty).
- Using Early Power Mobility to Advance Cognitive and Motor Skills. Dr. Amy Lynch, OTR/L (pro rata faculty) and Cole Galloway.
MU CLUB ADVISOR OF THE YEAR
In April 2013 Dr. Dawn Evans was awarded MU Club Advisor of the Year for her service to MSOTA, the Misericoridia University Student Occupational Therapy Association. This is a new award. Recipients are selected by the executive officers of student government based on a nomination letter from their club. It is awarded at the Student Services Leadership and Service Awards Dinner.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2014 OT MS WEEKEND PROGRAM AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Andrea Porchiazzo - OT Curricular Award
- Stephanie Hassler - OT Fieldwork Award
2013 OT MS WEEKEND PROGRAM AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Katie Reade OT - Curricular Award
- Veronica Yancewicz - OT Fieldwork Award
2013 OT ENTRY LEVEL MS WEEKDAY PROGRAM AWARD
- Stephanie Forbes - OT Curricular Award
- Laine Bishop - OT Fieldwork Award
- Molly Hearity - Stephen Heater Leadership Award
MSOTA SERVICE AWARD
The Misericordia University Student Association was the recipient of the "Club of the Year" award at the annual MU Service Awards in May 2012.
2012 AOTA SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
Alanna Moire Holmgren, an OT senior in the entry level OT BS/MS program, is one of three students nationally who are recipients of the American Occupational Therapy Association's 2012-2013 EK Wise Scholarship. Alanna will receive a monetary scholarship. This announcement is available at the AOTA website at: AOTA Website
2012 OT ENTRY LEVEL MS WEEKDAY PROGRAM AWARD RECIPIENTS:
- Marisa Cooper- OT Curricular Award
- Jenna Kinzinger- OT Fieldwork Award
- Devin Koslap- Stephen Heater Leadership Award
2012 OT ENTRY LEVEL MS WEEKEND PROGRAM AWARD RECIPIENTS:
- Beth Gladson – OT Curricular Award
- Lorraine Beebe and Yun Chung - OT Fieldwork Award.