Study Room Reservation

Wellness Collection

FAQs for Library Reserves

How do I determine fair use?

All submissions for traditional and electronic reserve must meet fair use guidelines, or copyright permission must be obtained.

What are the library’s fair use guidelines?

The library will place on reserve one copy of materials that meet fair use guidelines.

Examples are:
a. a chapter from a book; or
b. an article from a journal or newspaper; or
c. a short story, short essay or poem; or
d. a chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture from a book, periodical, or newspaper.

In regard to requests to place multiple copies on reserve, the following guidelines are in effect:

1. No more than a total of nine different articles or excerpts from books may be placed on reserve for a single class.
2. No more than three excerpts or articles from a book or periodical volume may be placed on reserve for a single class.
3. No more than one article or chapter by one author may be placed on reserve for a single class.
4. Only one copy of photocopied material is allowed for every 15 students in the class.

What may I place on electronic reserve?

Journal articles must not exceed one article from any single issue of a journal. No books may be placed on electronic reserve. Not more than one chapter of a book may be placed on electronic reserve. Links to full text articles from library-owned databases are allowed.

How do I place materials on electronic reserve?

If the item is already in electronic format, complete the Article Submission Form and send as an attachment to the electronic reserve specialist. Instructors should contact the electronic reserve specialist for further instruction.

What may I place on traditional reserve?

Traditional reserve articles include items personally owned by faculty (e.g. books, audiovisual materials, class notes) as well as materials owned by the library.

How do I place items on traditional reserve?

Reserve forms may be obtained either online (traditional forms) or in person from the Circulation Desk. Complete the form and present it along with the reserve materials to a staff member.

I’ll be teaching this course again. May I leave my reserves on permanently?

No. If reserve material is to be used for subsequent semesters for the same course, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained.

In addition, it is considered a violation of fair use to maintain access to copyrighted materials for a particular course when that course is not in session. It is also a violation if the instructor requesting the materials is not actively teaching the course. Electronic reserves will be stored out of circulation for later use. Traditional reserve materials will be removed from reserve at the end of the semester and returned to faculty.

Do I need permission from a student to place his/her article or project on reserve?

Yes, whether the material is in print or electronic form, written permission from the student must be obtained before the item can be placed on reserve.

How long does processing take?

Reserve requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Please submit requests at least two weeks before the start of the semester. It should take approximately three days to process materials once they are received. Items requiring copyright permission may take longer to process.

Who applies for copyright permission?

Library staff will assist faculty in obtaining copyright permission if necessary. The department will be notified of the fee involved, and once we receive an e-mail message from the department to indicate approval of the fee, we will proceed to finalize the permission process. Submissions for which copyright permission has already been obtained must be accompanied by a copy of the permission form.

What does it mean when items are in the public domain?

Public domain works are creative works that are not protected by copyright and may be used freely by anyone. These include items for which the copyright has expired or is not applicable. Examples of works within the public domain include some government documents and any item published before 1923.

What if the material I want to post is out of print?

Out of print materials are still subject to copyright restrictions. Permission must be obtained from the copyright owner.

                                                                                                                       Back to Top